Monday, May 23, 2011

Hospital III

The boss stopped by.

"James," he calls from in the doorway.

I stir myself from my daze, and see him. His head was wrapped up in a few bandages, but otherwise, he seemed fine. He walks in, and sits down in the chair next to my bed.

We sit there in silence. He stares off into space, while I try not to drift off into space.

"What happened back there; it wasn't your fault."

I say nothing. I look towards the wall to my left, burying half my face into the pillow.

"Not only did you miss that this wasn't an open and shut case, so did everyone else in the organization. If blame needs to be thrust upon someone, it isn't for one man to bear with his shoulders alone."

I don't respond.

He sighs.

"James, you can't do this to yourself. You're going to burn out..."

"..."

He gets up, and begins to walk out.

He stops though, and looks at me.

"Arnold's death, though; that was your fault. You're getting too attached. Your father warned you about this, and this is what killed your grandfather. You can't keep doing this.

That's why, as soon as you start work again, you are being reassigned. You will return to work after your vacation ends. Your vacation will end when I say."

He leaves. I wanted to protest, but I had drifted away again.

No comments:

Post a Comment